|Khoo Ewe Aik|
Khoo Ewe Aik was born in 1893 in Penang to Khoo Ban Seng and Yeoh Cheam Neo. He was a great grandson of Khoo Cheng Lim. His grandfather, Khoo Soo Teong was a brother to Khoo Cheow Teong.
Khoo Ewe Aik was educated at the Penang Free School, and passed the Senior Cambridge Examination in 1911. He was then among the few English-educated Straits Chinese who had the knowledge in written Chinese. Khoo Ewe Aik married Ooi Jeu Yen and had two sons, Khoo Teng Cheang and Khoo Teng Chye.
His firm, Ban Seng Huat Co., a construction and materials supplier company was well-known in Penang. The firm had joined many government contracts, among of it were the Penang Maternity Hospital, Tiger Hill Reservoir, the Glugor Marine Depot, two of Volunteers' Quarters at Perak Road and Peel Avenue and many others. Apart from that, Ban Seng Huat & Co. also carried on renovation works for the St George's Church at Farquhar Street, Penang Free School at Green Lane, Penang Hill Hotel, and many others.
In 1937, Khoo Ewe Aik was appointed by the Governor to became a member of the Chinese Advisory Board replacing Lee Soon Theam, serving for a two-year term. He was also the President and managing trustee of Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi (his family clan temple), Committee Member of the Penang Chinese Chamber of Commerce, and held many important roles in Chinese associations and clubs in Penang.
In his later life, Khoo Ewe Aik spent his remaining time in looking after the welfare of his family clan temple. His business interests were taken over by his two sons and later renamed the firm as Khoo Ewe Aik Realty Sdn Bhd (邱有益实业有限公司). Khoo Ewe Aik's second son, Khoo Teng Chye (邱鼎才) who was educated at the Melbourne University in Australia was a former Assemblyman for Dhoby Ghaut (Penang) during the time of Lim Chong Eu's leadership. Khoo Ewe Aik's contributions to the Penang Chinese is often regarded as invaluable, his name is highly respected by the Chinese community in various section. He died in 1978 in Penang.
- The Straits Times, 20 January 1937, Page 13
- The Straits Times, 25 September 1937, Page 12
- The Straits Times, 7 February 1925, Page 8
- The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884-1942), 30 March 1931, Page 12
- Wong, C.S. (1964). A Gallery of Chinese Kapitans. Singapore: Dewan Bahasa & Kebudayaan Kebangsaan. (pp. 23 - 24)
- Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Museum